Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Puzzler Meme

Well, I'm knackered from White Night - a very wonderful, but rather intense evening of wandering around the streets of Melbourne looking at some wonderful light and sound installations. Home at 2, in bed by three, I've had it. But it was worth it. Especially when you got to see some stuff like this. It was very cool indeed. (This was installed at the City Baths - I used to love swimming in that pool)



Right, now to this week's meme - as always, supplied by Sunday Stealing.

What time is it? 

According to my computer it's 12.18 pm.

Quick. What’s the first green thing you see? 

There are a couple of green candles on my coffee table. Good for attracting money and abundance. (Reminds me, should go light them to try and expedite this contract I'm still waiting on.)

Do you like those Sudoku puzzles? 

Yes. When flying, I try and get the easy one done by the time the plane takes off. One of my little rituals when flying.

Do you own a plaid shirt? 

No. I threw the one I had out when I had a big clean up.

What’s your favorite kind of pie? 

My mum does a killer blackberry pie made from blackberries that grow on the property.

Have you read a book today? 

I've read a few chapters of my current book, Rush, Oh. Really enjoying it.

Do you like going to museums? 

I adore museums. They're the best thing about going to a strange city.

Have you ever been to Washington D.C.? Or your nation's capital? 

Never been to Washington, but would like to. I've been to Canberra many times. (For those out of Australia, the capital of Australia is this place called Canberra, which was once a big sheep station halfway between Sydney and Melbourne. Some might say it is still not too far removed from a big sheep station, just with more crap coming from the inhabitants.)

Have you ever been to the state of Washington? 

It's another place I'd love to go. I've heard great things about Seattle and its surrounds.

Do you like apple juice? 

It's okay, but I don't drink much of it. Apple cider, on the other hand, is fantastic stuff. I do drink a little bit of that.

How cold is it outside? 

It's summer. It's not cold. According to the weather bureau it's 22 degrees centigrade. That's a bit cool for summer here.

Have you ever taken a course in Chemistry? 

Yes. I did Chemistry in my leaving year at school - and did pretty well in the subject. Love that sort of thing.

Do you like to draw?

It's something I wish I could do. I prefer to paint.

What do you put on your french fries? 

Tomato sauce or Peri Peri mayonnaise are favourites.

Do you like everything to match? 

No. How boring would things be if everything matched?

Do you like mustard? 

Yes. Wonderful stuff - but not overly fond of the yellow stuff that Americans put on hot dogs. Hot English mustard on ham sandwiches are the go. Or Dijon mustard in chicken dishes - or seedy mustard with steak... yeah, I like mustard.

Would you ever work at a movie theater? 

In some ways, working in an art house movie theatre would be a dream job of mine. I love film, so would love to be able to see a lot more films for free.

Do you have a phone charger in your car? 

Of course. It's not a part of the car, but sits in the cigarette lighter. It's a very handy thing to have.

Have you ever slept through an alarm? 

No, but I've forgot to set the alarm on a few occasions. I tend to wake up three minutes before the alarm goes off.

Do you like pineapple on pizza? 

Only sometimes. Hawaiian pizza is a nice soft option sometimes - but I'm more your Mexican Hot sort of pizza lover.

Do you like to hold hands? 

I do. Can I remember the last time I held hands with somebody - I cannot.

Do you want a tattoo? 

I have one very small tattoo, which is out of public view. I've though about having the World Wildlife Panda stamped on my body somewhere, but I don't know where that is. If   I work this out, I might have it done.



When is the last time you ordered from a catalog? 

A hair straightening brush. Going to try and make an effort with my appearance when I go back to work (which will hopefully be this week - just waiting on paperwork)

Do you know anyone who has a collection of old records? 

A couple of people. Vinyl lovers are a subset of their own.

What’s the name of the gas station you last stopped at? 

I bought petrol at the Seven Eleven on Barkers Road last weekend.

What was the first song you heard today? 

Walking home from White Night last night, a band at what used to be the Portland Hotel on Russell Street was doing a cover of this. I will always love this song. I sang along for a bit. Probably irritated Jay, but that's okay. It was 1.30 in the morning.




Have you ever gotten a magazine subscription as a gift? 

No, but I gave myself a copy of copy of The Monthly for Christmas last year.

What was the last video you watched on YouTube? 

We're having an interesting time here at the moment as there is a Royal Commission into Child Abuse and the Catholic Church's role in hiding all of this. The fellow who used to be Archbishop of Melbourne, then Cardinal of Australia, one George Pell,  is now ensconced in a very senior role in the Vatican. He has been asked repeatedly to come back to Australia to fact the commission and tell of what he knew and answer questions as to how much of this was covered up. (If you haven't seen Spotlight, I highly recommend it - similar topic set in Boston - fantastic film)

Anyway, the Cardinal is citing poor health is stopping him boarding a plane from Italy to come back to Australia. Many cardiologists have said they'd go over to Rome, at their own expense and fly back with him First Class to monitor him. The Commission have said that he can give evidence by video link, but still - this all reeks of something rotten.

Pell's refusal to come home and face the commission is pretty crap.

Here's one paper's editorial on the matter.

This is also a great rundown on the matter at hand if you have the time.

It stinks of something rotten. That's its all over the newspapers that the police are investigating the guy for sexual abuse doesn't help matter. Okay, he's innocent until proven guilty, but he's showing himself to be a coward - and a bully.

Anyway, one of our comedians and satirists has got on board with this. Tim Minchin is a legend in my books. He's just saying what most of the country are thinking.

Personally, I can't get this song out of my head.

This is what we do to cowards in Australia. Beware.




Have you ever sacrificed something for someone you love? 

Other than self-respect and a bit of dignity in my early years, I'll say no to this. I will willingly sacrifice my time  for my friends when ever they ask. That's what you do for friends.

Have you ever had your picture in the newspaper?

No, thank goodness.

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

HOW I love that song. It moves me to tears and makes me smile. Simultaneously.

The Gal Herself said...

First of all, that photo that opens your post is breathtaking!

I didn't know the color green attracts abundance. I have green eyes and have been told when I wear certain colors, my eyes look brighter. I wonder if, when my eyes look brighter, my finances might too!

There's a very well done movie here in the States, heartbreaking but exceptional, called Spotlight. It's about how the Boston Globe exposed the priest abuse scandal in that very city, where the Church has a great deal of support and power. It sounds like a film you would find quite relevant.

Bev Sykes said...

Isn't it just wonderful that the hierarchy who made the sex scandals possible now hold high positions in the Vatican? Cardinal Law, from Boston is now in an exalted position there, and the significant holdings of the church in Boston have been transferred to Rome so they can't be attached for payment to the victims.

This is one reason why I am no longer a Catholic.

Kwizgiver said...

Good luck with the new job! I hope it's a good fit for you.

CountryDew said...

Thank you for teaching me the name of the capital of Australia.