Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Some Things Kept

So I'm chucking things out at a rate of knots. I'm working my way through my CDs at the moment. They've been sitting in the spare room for ever. It's time to transfer them over to the computer and leave them - but not all of them.

Some have to stay. Yes, they give me joy. There is also the thing about playing them in the car.

I'm not far through this exercise with the CDs, but here are a couple that are going nowhere.


Nirvana - Nevermind  (1991)

This is the third time I've bought this album. My first copy was stolen by an old flat mate. The second copy went walkabout. I'm keeping this one.

Seminal sounds of the nineties. It came out just as I was mioving to England. Feels like Teen Spirit was the anthem of my first year in London. It never gets old.



The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash (1985)

This is my angry driving music. It's required listening when I'm angry as it has the ability to turn me around and make me smile again. It also makes me thankful I'm Australian where we have proper dentistry and we don't end up having Shane McGowan's teeth. Saying that, Shane McGowan survives Davie Bowie - never saw that happening either.

Great, tub-thumping music that demands that it's played loud or when you're drunk.

Love it.


The Hoodoo Gurus - Stoneage Romeos (1984)

This takes me back to Dolly Magazine, year 11 and long hot summers. It also reminds me of my youth. I can't part with this. It's too good, even though nobody really remembers The Hoodoo Gurus any more - though I believe they're playing at a Day on the Green soon.


Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (1983)

While the rest of my school mates were into Cold Chisel and AC/DC, here I was listening to Talking Heads. Stop Making Sense. The big suit, the drum beats, the edgy lyrics. I still love them. This one will be going in the car soon.


Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales (1995)

Another album from my London days. I've always loved The Police, but Sting did so well with this album. It contains one of my most favourite songs - a song that got me into tarot. Have to keep it just for that.


Portishead - Dummy (1994)

Perennially in the car, I cant get rid of this CD. Another album that takes me back to West Hampstead, the show "This Life" and drinking a lot of beer. It doesn't get much better than this.



The Pixies - Surfer Rosa and Doolittle (Jury is out on Bossanova however)

I can't live without these. They have to stay too. How can one live without The Pixies? Here's Bowie on The Pixies.



And here is Debaser. From Doolittle. Still amazing.




I'm sure I'll be finding a few more to keep from the pile. I might also forgive myself for some of the strange things I'm finding in there as well. Gabriella Cilmi and Nerina Pallot anybody?

2 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Noooooo! Don't get rid of your CDs.

;o)

Nevermind's good - but In Utero is better.

I've heard great things about the Pixies - but never really heard them. I'll have to investigate.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Jackie K said...

Wow - three of these were also my very favourite albums of the 80s/90s: the Nirvana one (of course), Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, and Talking Heads Stop Making Sense! I LOVED Talking Heads. Even now they remind me of high school (the only cool thing I was into).
Smells Like Teen Spirit I will always remember the goosebumps I felt when I first heard it. And it's a cliche but I really felt like YES this is MY generation's music!
The Pogues will always remind me of London and of my first year back in Melbourne.

I still have all of my CDs, but rarely listen to them. I have gifted a few to the kids - stuff like Destiny's Child, J-Lo etc. But I did just last week dig out 4 of my other 90s favourites for the car: Fleetwood Mac Tango In the Night, Madonna Ray of Light, The Bodeans, and The Jackson Code. The kids thought they were woeful but I had to have a break from Nova FM for just one day!!

Your cleaning out is obviously going well.