Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Halloween Meme

I'm going to paraphrase this meme with the follow:



We generally don't do Halloween here.

The only concession I'll give is this photo.



This is Bozley. My sister's dog. The bestest dog ever. He went to heaven yesterday. I'm really sad about this, but he was nearly 13 and his legs stopped working and he did not suffer for very long, but I'll miss him when I go to Adelaide. Sleep well, bestest boy. You were a great mate. (photo from my sister)

Okay, so here we go. Questions, as per usual, come from Sunday Stealing. It makes a change from trying to write a feature article on the Freemasons.

Are you scared of bats? 

Not really. If they bite you they can give you Hendra and that will kill you, but I generally don't get close enough to the bats. They're fun to watch at night.

When you were a kid, did you go out on Mischief Night? (Mischief Night is an informal holiday on which children and teens engage in pranks and minor vandalism. While its name and date vary from place to place, it is most commonly held near the end of October to coincide with the night before Halloween)

No, because I'm Australian. We don't need a reason to make mischief.

What is your favorite trick-or-treat candy? 

No idea. We don't really have Halloween candy.

Have you ever seen a ghost? 

Yes - more I felt her. We used to have one in the house in London. She scared the downstairs neighbours countless times.

The most memorable costume you ever wore? 

Never worn a Halloween costume. I'm Australian.

Do you dress up on Halloween? 

No, I'm over 40 and Australian. We don't do Halloween.

Any cooking or baking you do for Halloween? 

No. It's just a normal day.

 Have you ever been to The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland or Disneyworld? 

No. Never been to Disneyland.

Any element of the season you don’t like? 

Well it is Beltane, a pagan festival. I'm good with that.

What is your favorite scary movie? 

I generally don't like scary movies. Beetlejuice or The Sixth Sense is about as far as I go.

 Do you cook the pumpkin seeds from your carved jack-o-lanterns? 

I'm Australian. I cook pumpkin all year round. Roasted with lamb is my favourite way to do pumpkin. Pumpkin soup is great too. See, pumpkin is a savoury thing around here.

 Are you intrigued with vampires? 

The thrill is going. They've over represented in modern literary culture.

What is your favorite written work of horror fiction? 

Bram Stoker's Dracula is pretty good. I will get around to reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels one day. Horror really isn't my thing.

What is your favorite work of science fiction/fantasy? 

Love Kazuo Ishiguru's Never Let Me Go and David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas - and Margaret Atwood. Oh, I do read literary speculative fiction... I hope that counts.

Who is your favorite monster? 

Mike from Monster's Inc.



What is your favorite Horror movie? 

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'm not into horror. Shaun of the Dead isn't too bad either. The horror films I watch have to be funny.

What horror movie gives you the most chills? 

Se7en gave me the jeebies for weeks.

What character from any horror film would you most like to play?



4 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I'm British (as you know) and I really really wish we hadn't embraced Hallowe'en. Apparently we invented it, the Yanks decided that they could make lots of money out of it, and then sent it back to us with added pain.

I love horror and scary things but all I want to do on Halloween is dress up as a knife wielding maniac and scare ANYBODY who dares to knock my front door trying to get a treat.

GRRRRRR!!!!

;o)

Cheers

PM

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I hope Bosley finds little Jazz and they can play,play,play.
Californians and Australians get along pretty well, and we all about do a back flip when we hear an Aussie accent.

Kwizgiver said...

Sorry about your fur friend passing.

CountryDew said...

I am sorry about your loss. Halloween has been turned so commercial it has lost its true Pagan meaning, alas.