Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Blog-tober - The Quandong

Today's bonus was being taken out for lunch. As work group, Sparks and Ladders shouted us lunch. Expecting pizza or a parma, I was thrilled to find that we were going to a fine dining restaurant near work.

Three hours later the team waddled back to the office - utterly replete after a wonderful meal.

The three course menu was inventive and interesting - yet not devoid from being recognisable food.

For starters, I had calamari stuffed with chorizo with a squid ink sauce. Glorious. I forwent the purple risotto - though the scallops looked amazing.

For mains, free range chicken and an American salad stack with ranch dressing. This was served with roasted pink eyed potatoes and a rocket, blue castel and berry dressing - well balanced and lovely. The guys around me had steak - the only thing they complained about was the meat came medium or well done - and not mooing.

Then it came time for dessert.

Most of the table ordered a deconstructed cheesecake - with baby wild limes and macadamia. It came out looking like a puddle of cream with sand - but it tasted amazing. I managed to snaffle a spoonful off a colleague.

Me, I chose the white caramel delice with a chocolate crisp and quandong coulis.

I thought a quandong was a small marsupial. I was wondering how a desert of salty caramel and white chocolate would go served up with Skippy.

Or maybe they used the milk of a quandong to make a coulis.

Turns out I was wrong.

I was thinking of a quokka.

 Or a quoll:

It appears that a quandong is an Australian bush fruit, also called a bush peach - but to me the coulis tasted something like a mix between a blood orange and a raspberry (though according to Wikipedia, that suppository of all useful knowledge, the real fruit tastes like peach, apricot and rhubarb). Very yummy.

A quandong.


No way this was going to jump of the plate and try and tell me that there is a bushfire at the bottom of the gorge and there is a bushwalker trapped with a broken leg nearby.

___________________________

Well, this brings me to the end of Blog-tober.

I did it.

Just (okay, two days I failed, but I doubled up on the blogs the following day).

Now if I can continue to write daily and get a bit more of this bloody novel done.

Thanks for putting up with me over the last month.

Pand



3 comments:

MedicatedMoo said...

Well done, Pandora!

I've just done something really stupid - signed up for NaNoWriMo. Decided to vomit it all up on the 'poota screen and worry about editing, pace, story and finesse next month.....

Plastic Mancunian said...

Well done Pand,

I'm planning a Bloggy month in January.

BTW Never heard of a quokka or a quoll or a quandong.

You live and learn ...

:0)

Cheers

PM

Jackie K said...

well done - you did good.
well, its November - you should do NaNoWriMo and get cracking on that novel!
I didn't know what a quondong was either.