Saturday, April 9, 2011

How to Get into Trouble

Okay, you ask me to make a birthday cake for a dinner party - of course I'm going to do it - I love baking.

So, after a week of indecision, I get a recipe from a book - no one cup wonders for this cake (I make a very good chocolate cake with a cup of this and that).

The cake gets made from scratch - filled with real chocolate and walnuts and Drambuie soaked sultanas and the like - it's a lovely gourmet chocolate cake - recipe thanks to Gabriel Gate. Going by what I tasted from licking the bowl and beaters yesterday, it's going to be great!

Then I come home from meditation and ice it. Made the icing from scratch - the icing recipe I've been using since I started making chocolate cakes when I was ten-years-old.

So, I've made the birthday cake. It's for Pete's forty somethingth birthday. All I know is that Pete - an ex-workmate, is somewhere a few years older than me. And of course, it's not a birthday cake without smarties on it. One of the rules of birthday cakes is that they are decorated with smarties.

Therefore I think this is apt.


What's the bet I get into trouble?

8 comments:

Bec Can Do It said...

hilarious :-)

Aim said...

I'm happy to take the 'old' section of the cake off your hands, if it means others won't get offended...!!!!!! ;)

Elephant's Child said...

You had to do it. And it looks wunderbar. Cakes and icing should be indulgent blowouts made from scratch. And the smarties are a bonus.

Elisabeth said...

Great cake. At a mere forty he should not be offended.

Kath Lockett said...

HAH! I love it!

River said...

It looks delicious. I called my son old man when he turned 30....he wasn't offended at all.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

If somebody did that to me I would find it hilarious - very naughty!

:0)

Cheers

PM

Pandora Behr said...

Thankfully, Pete loved it - the cake went down a treat. And we found out, Pete is pushing 50 - not just straddling 40. And the cake - OH MY GOODNESS, one of the best I have ever made - though Pete did pass the comment that Gabriel Gate would never put smarties on top...